DIY Guide To Sustainable Bath Bombs
Bath bombs are a popular way to make bath time more enjoyable and relaxing. However, many store-bought bath bombs can come with a high price tag and often contain harmful chemicals that are not eco-friendly. Luckily, making your own sustainable bath bombs at home is easy and affordable.
When it comes to making sustainable bath bombs, it is important to use natural ingredients that are safe for both your skin and the environment. Some key ingredients to include in your homemade bath bombs are baking soda, citric acid, Epsom salt, and essential oils. You can also add natural coloring ingredients such as beet powder, turmeric, or matcha powder to give your bath bombs a pop of color.
To make your own sustainable bath bombs at home, start by combining all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Next, mix in the essential oils and any natural coloring ingredients you may want to use. Slowly add water to the mixture, stirring constantly until the mixture starts to clump together. Once the mixture has a sand-like texture, pack it into your desired shape mold and allow it to dry overnight before using in your bath.
With this DIY Guide to Sustainable Bath Bombs, you can enjoy a relaxing and eco-friendly bath experience without breaking the bank or harming the environment.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup Epsom salt
1 teaspoon water
3 teaspoons essential oil (of your choice)
2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil or grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon witch hazel (or water if you don't have witch hazel)
1 tablespoon dried flowers (such as lavender or rose petals)
1-2 drops food coloring
1 teaspoon honey or aloe vera gel
1 tablespoon rolled oats or powdered milk for skin soothing properties
Steps To Make Your Bath Bombs
Gather Your Ingredients
The first step to making sustainable bath bombs is to gather all the necessary ingredients, including baking soda, citric acid, epsom salt, cornstarch, essential oils, natural food coloring, and a carrier oil such as coconut oil or almond oil.
Mix Dry Ingredients
Once you have all your ingredients, the next step is to mix your dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. This includes the baking soda, citric acid, epsom salt, and cornstarch. Make sure to mix evenly to ensure that the bath bombs will fizz properly.
Mix Wet Ingredients
Next, mix your essential oils and carrier oil together in a separate bowl. You can also add natural food coloring at this point. Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly as you go.
Shape Your Bath Bombs
Once everything is mixed together, it's time to shape your bath bombs. You can use silicone molds, or roll the mixture into balls by hand. Make sure to pack the mixture tightly so that the bath bombs hold their shape.
Let Them Set
After you've shaped your bath bombs, let them set for at least 24 hours. This will give them time to dry and harden properly before you use them in your bath.
Once your bath bombs have set, they're ready to use! Simply drop one into your bath and enjoy the fizzy, relaxing bath experience. Store any leftover bath bombs in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
Benefits of Sustainable Bath Bombs
Using sustainable bath bombs has become an increasingly popular option among eco-conscious individuals. There are several benefits associated with using sustainable bath bombs, such as:
1. Eco-Friendly Ingredients
Sustainable bath bombs are made using natural and organic ingredients that do not harm the environment when they biodegrade. They often contain essential oils, natural colors, and herbs, giving you a natural and refreshing bathing experience.
2. No Harsh Chemicals
Sustainable bath bombs are free from harsh chemicals that can cause irritation or allergies, make it safe for sensitive skins. This natural approach can also help to prevent skin problems such as acne, clogged pores, and dry skin.
3. Better for Your Health
The natural ingredients in sustainable bath bombs can have a calming and soothing effect on your body and mind. They may help relieve stress, loosen tense muscles, and promote better sleep.
4. Supporting Small Businesses
Many sustainable bath bomb ingredients come from small businesses that are eco-friendly and ethically sourced. By purchasing sustainable bath bombs, you are supporting these businesses and creating a more sustainable society.
Another perk of sustainable bath bombs is that they are customizable, allowing you to create bath bombs with your favorite scents and colors. You can experiment with different natural ingredients to find unique and personalized options that fit your preferences.
Tips For Using And Storing Your Bath Bombs
1. Store In A Cool, Dry PlaceAfter making or purchasing bath bombs, it's important to store them in a cool, dry place to prevent them from activating prematurely. Exposure to moisture can cause the bath bombs to fizz and dissolve, rendering them useless. A linen closet, pantry or bathroom cabinet are all great options.
2. Use Them Within Six MonthsBath bombs have a shelf life of approximately six months when stored properly, so be sure to use them within this timeframe. Certain ingredients in bath bombs, such as essential oils and natural pigments, can lose their potency over time, resulting in a less effective and less enjoyable bath experience.
3. Add Them After Filling Your TubTo ensure the bath bomb dissolves evenly, fill your tub with warm water before adding the bath bomb. Gently drop the bath bomb into the water and watch it fizz and release its fragrant oils and other ingredients. Avoid adding the bath bomb directly under the running water as this can cause it to dissolve too quickly.
4. Rinse Your Tub After UseAfter soaking in the bath with your bath bomb, be sure to rinse your tub thoroughly to remove any residue left behind. Bath bombs contain natural oils that can leave a film on your tub if not rinsed well, and this can be difficult to clean if left to dry.
5. Experiment With CombinationsBath bombs come in a variety of scents, colors, and shapes. To create a truly unique and enjoyable bath experience, try experimenting with different combinations of bath bombs. Mix and match your favorite scents, colors, and shapes until you find the perfect combination that suits your mood and preferences.
By following these tips, you can extend the shelf life of your bath bombs while enjoying the full benefits of their natural and sustainable ingredients.
Why Choose Sustainable Bath Bombs?
As eco-conscious consumers, it's important for us to choose sustainable options whenever possible. By making your own bath bombs, you can control the ingredients and ensure that they are environmentally friendly. Additionally, DIY bath bombs are often more affordable than their store-bought counterparts.
Tips for Sustainability
When making sustainable bath bombs, there are a few things to keep in mind. Look for ingredients that are organic, natural, and responsibly sourced. Avoid harsh chemicals and harmful dyes. Some great sustainable ingredients include essential oils, coconut oil, and Epsom salt.
The Bottom Line
Making your own sustainable bath bombs is a fun and easy way to enjoy a relaxing bath while also reducing your impact on the environment. By following these tips and choosing environmentally friendly ingredients, you can significantly reduce your carbon footprint while enjoying the benefits of a luxurious bath experience.